When a fire alarm sounds, the floor wardens prepare their area of responsibility. They direct the emergency team members (monitors and aides of the physically impaired) to their assignments. They direct occupants to the stairwells for evacuation.
DO NOT USE ELEVATORS
Tenants will exit the floor via either stairwell and walk down from where they originated and exit the building.
Aids for the physically impaired shall move that person to the stairwell, staying clear of the other tenants' path of exit. Aids are required to stay with the impaired until directed by the LPFD arriving on that floor.
Proper evacuation procedures:
- Stay calm.
- Follow instructions. You may be asked to search restrooms or offices or to help disabled people from the area.
- Feel doors with the back of your hand before opening them and do not open any doors that are hot.
- Close doors behind you as you leave. Do not lock them. Do not return for personal articles.
- Locate to the nearest stairwell and evacuate the building. If you are disabled, await help in stairwell.
- Once outside, move away from the building and reassemble.
General evacuation information:
- Do not use the elevators. If a smoke detector in the elevator lobby is activated, the elevators will automatically return to ground level and open. If you are in an elevator when an alarm sounds, do not push the emergency stop button.
- If smoke is present, stay low. The best air is nearest the floor.
- If you are trapped by smoke, remain calm. Put a towel or article of clothing under the doors.
- If you are near a perimeter window, signal for help by placing a sign in the window.
- If you are outside during a fire, stay far enough away to avoid possible falling glass and debris.